Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Black cake (fruit cake)

I don't usually like fruit cake all that much - it tends to be a bit dry or too rich - but this is really moist, almost pudding-like. Very more-ish. This will be my first Christmas on SCD and, although I eat this cake all year round, I think it will make a pretty good Christmas cake. You could even ice it with SCD-legal marzipan, but I can't think of any replacement for royal icing (not that I really want to - too sweet for my taste).
 
The recipe has been played around with a fair bit, derived from a non-SCD legal recipe my mum came across about when I was starting SCD. The first time mum made it, it was a bit over cooked (still tasty though) and didn't have a name, so Ben christened it black cake and the name stuck, even though it usually turns out a nice golden brown.
 
Black cake
 
2.75 cups of mixed dried fruit (I usually just use sultanas and currants, but raisins are good too and I'm sure some homemade candied peel would work perfectly)
grated rind of 1 orange
1 cup orange juice
up to 1/2 tbsp of honey (I don't usually use any as the dried fruit is sweet already)
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 cup cooked carrot/pumpkin, pureed (about 3-4 large raw carrots)
1.5 cups of almond meal
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp mixed spice (I used 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cardamom last time, which was a good combination)
 
Combine the fruit, orange rind and juice and honey in a saucepan and bring to a simmer for a few minutes until the fruit is swollen and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
 
Take off the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Add the bicarb, then the carrot/pumpkin and eggs and mix thoroughly. Then add the almond meal and spice and mix until combined.
 
Pour into a 6 inch square cake tin lined with baking paper and bake at 160C until the top of the cake is firm to the touch.

2 comments:

  1. Just made this cake for the first time. OMG yum. I too had a bit of a black cake as I wasn;t sure how firm to cook, but it still tastes great. Thanks for the recipe. Pam from SA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I'm pleased to hear it worked out - I've certainly found with almond meal cakes you can err on the side of under-cooking them - they retain a lot of heat and keep cooking for a while after you take them out. And even if underdone, it's not horrible like raw wheat flour.
      Cat

      Delete